Word of the Week

I introduced the Word of the Week to help us improve our working knowledge of the English language. Your part if you choose to participate is to be aware of and use each word for the entire week whenever the opportunity presents itself. This way we will all increase our vocabulary and our knowledge of the English language supplying us with a very effective tool to utilize on our road to success.

temerity

te·mer·i·ty /təˈmerəti/ noun

the quality of being confident and unafraid of danger or punishment.

From a poem entitled “It’s No Surprise”

“Eyes exuding sincerity,

understanding, temerity,

is why I love you.”











Friday, July 31, 2009

Lesson Learned

Wednesday was an interesting day for Tuesday I caught my old self coming through when I chose to negatively judge, (label), a former client. Something I no longer do.

The story goes like this.

In my studio I have two sets of dumbbells. One set of my 15lbs dumbbells has been on loan to this former client for some 2 ½ years now. The fault lies with me for not pursuing the matter and going to get them.

Enter my recent client of about three months. She has a beautiful energetic young spirit full of exuberance and life. She stated she nearly brought a pair of 15lbs dumbbells for me to which I would normally reply; “Thank you. That would be awesome.” Instead, before I caught myself, I went off on this rant about my 15lbs dumbbells, “supposedly,” on loan and proceeded to say it was better I didn’t pursue the matter and leave well enough alone because of certain characteristics the person held. At this point awareness kicked in but the damage had been done. Using my old perception of this person’s characteristic was an excuse masquerading as the reason for not pursuing the matter. The more I tried to explain, (justify), my judgment the more hypocritical I felt seemingly making matters worse for all. I had introduced a negative energy that could possibly dampen the spirit of another, erecting a caution sign in our relationship.

As in every case there is an equal positive opportunity to learn from this. By taking steps to adjust and sharpen my awareness I am able to better avoid such instances in the future realizing we can never let our guard down for ego is an ever present predator. Perhaps through discussion and understanding my client and I will gain a better understanding leading to a stronger relationship.

It has been an interesting exercise and I am thankful for the experience. My awareness of motivation and thought has evolved to a higher plane allowing me a deeper level of service. It also reminded me that my journey is continual and that I must be vigilant not to fall back into old attitudes, emotions and actions.

For discussion or help in developing a strategy for increasing awareness or a plan of action email premierblueprints@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. This is a lesson we could all work on. Why is it often easier (or an instant reflex) to criticize, label or judge, rather than search for a more encouraging or positive response? I too have considered Tuesday’s conversation since then, and came to a similar outcome.

    BTW, no cautions signs were erected. You are a gem and a delight—always.

    ReplyDelete