Word of the Week

I introduced the Word of the Week to help us improve our working knowledge of the English language. Your part if you choose to participate is to be aware of and use each word for the entire week whenever the opportunity presents itself. This way we will all increase our vocabulary and our knowledge of the English language supplying us with a very effective tool to utilize on our road to success.

temerity

te·mer·i·ty /təˈmerəti/ noun

the quality of being confident and unafraid of danger or punishment.

From a poem entitled “It’s No Surprise”

“Eyes exuding sincerity,

understanding, temerity,

is why I love you.”











Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Making Friends

Victory!! My shop vac, the power cord, and I are finally buddies.

This may sound unusual to many but anyone who has ever used a shop vac will know of what I speak.

I always use my shop vac to vacuum the studio. Generally it is way over due. I like to use the excuse of lack of time but deep down I think I know it is because every time it is all out war between me and the shop vac. Hauling that thing around is like struggling with the reluctant puppy on the end of a leash for the first time. The shop vac purposely runs into, gets stuck on and falls over every piece of apparatus it can possibly find. To top it all off, 90% of the time he will also let go of the hose whilst tripping over everything in sight, making it necessary to stop, go back and reinsert said hose. Making matters even more exasperating the power cord teams up with shop vac by insisting on tangling and snagging on everything imaginable. Can anyone relate?

The other day was vacuum day at the studio. I had visions of the ensuing battle but stopped short recalling the message in a little book I have read, oh, probably ½ a dozen times called As You Wish. Perhaps if I visualized a different outcome and expected a new experience I just might be able to make friends with the shop vac and gain its cooperation. So, I spent some time visualizing myself working with the shop vac, telling it how awesome and agile it was as it maneuvered successfully around all the obstacles with the power cord in tow never getting tangled or caught up on anything. As silly as this sounds, it worked like a charm. It was the best vacuuming experience I have ever had. Not one incident. It was as I wished, and expected. Think about the only thing that had changed in this situation. Same shop vac, same power cord, same studio, what was different?

I tell you this story to illustrate a principle law in relationships. If we find someone particularly difficult to get along with perhaps it is because that is what we have learned to expect from them. Maybe if we were to visualize a pleasant experience every time we had to deal with such people, adjust our attitude, things may turn out differently. In the end you will always find it is AS YOU WISH.

Please email premierblueprints@gmail.com for discussion or vacuuming tips.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Such a great post, humourous with a brilliant message. Perfect!

    I actually put this lesson into play last weekend, when I knew my sister was coming over. I changed the way I envisioned the liaison would go, and it worked. The visit was delightfully enjoyable, and not the struggle to communicate as it has often been in the past.

    Thank you, Marshall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [same comment; deleted the original, as it was riddled with typing errors] ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone likes talking to them self... :D

    I use this technique before competing in tournaments. I envision each of the techniques I selected for each position me performing them effortlessly.

    Works most of the time!

    ReplyDelete