Word of the Week

I introduced the Word of the Week to help us improve our working knowledge of the English language. Your part if you choose to participate is to be aware of and use each word for the entire week whenever the opportunity presents itself. This way we will all increase our vocabulary and our knowledge of the English language supplying us with a very effective tool to utilize on our road to success.

temerity

te·mer·i·ty /təˈmerəti/ noun

the quality of being confident and unafraid of danger or punishment.

From a poem entitled “It’s No Surprise”

“Eyes exuding sincerity,

understanding, temerity,

is why I love you.”











Monday, April 6, 2009

If You Want To Eat Dessert You Have To Train Your Legs

Ah yes, leg training. You have to learn to love it. Whether for sports, recreation, body building or just general over all better fitness and better quality of life, you cannot neglect working your legs. Building a strong base is an integral component of realizing optimal performance and strength, not just physically but mentally as well.

Many people avoid or minimize their lower body training because proper leg training is brutally intense if you want to maximize your overall potential. As with anything you do in life, you get out of lower body training what you put into it. Thus goes the Universal Law of Compensation. Leg training, when performed properly creates such stresses on ALL systems of your body. It not only strengthens your legs but also contributes to an OVERALL strengthening of your entire being. Yes, I said being because it also develops your mind and spirit. It strengthens your mental FOCUS and ASSERTIVENESS, which carries over into every aspect of your life and gives you more confidence in everything you take on.

There is nothing comparable to proper leg training for shedding unwanted pounds or adding functional body weight. If your goal is to experience rapid weight loss, and keep it off, include some very intense leg training in your program. This will force your body to be like a furnace, accelerating your metabolism to burn copious amounts of calories all day, even while you are resting.

If you doubt me try including some very intense lower body training for a few weeks. Be TOTALLY committed giving it 100% and then tell me at the end of the program you don’t have a more POSITIVE outlook on things, you don’t look and feel much BETTER. Tell me your STRENGTH has not improved overall. Tell me you are not more FOCUSED and INTENSE and CONFIDENT about all you do. If you tell me this you have cheated yourself and not worked as hard as you could have. I know this because I have seen this work for literally thousands of clients over the years WITHOUT FAIL. Your overall performance, not just in sport, but also in life cannot help but improve. I kid you not.

Make a PLAN for yourself. Set some GOALS. You need to decide what it is you wish to accomplish from your training and begin to visualize yourself as though you have already attained it.

Back when I was 25 years old I was frustrated and stuck at a 225lb. squat for 8 repetitions. I realized I had been stuck there because I had no distinct plan to focus on. I had nothing specific for my mind to shoot for. It was in April of that year I decided I wanted to squat 405lbs and I gave myself a deadline of the third week in August to accomplish this. I sat down and determined how much weight I needed to add each week to realize my goal. Then several times every day I would visualize myself successfully squatting with the amount of weight I was to do that week and also squatting the full 405lbs. as though I could already do it. I created such an intense desire within me I could not fail. Now this may sound like a lot of work but it really isn’t. Besides if you really want something then all you do toward that end doesn’t seem like work!

“You only have to do something until you want to, then you don’t have to anymore.” - Leland Val Van De Wall

It was the end of the first week in August I loaded up the bar with four plates a side and performed my first ever set of 8 reps with 405Lbs. Mission accomplished ahead of schedule.

By the way this technique works with anything you desire to accomplish in life, not just your training. Give this an honest try. If your training or your life for that matter has been stuck in neutral for a while or your progress has not been what you feel it should or could be this is YOUR key for unlocking the door to the next level and beyond.

Nothing can stop an idea whose time has COME.

If you require assistance incorporating an effective leg program into your training I can help. Drop me an email and I will contact you at your convenience - premierblueprints@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. I do Outdoor Fitness - Fun leg strength and toning! Check out the JUST released new book by Tina Vindum - Considered the Outdoor Fitness Guru on this topic.

    http://www.amazon.com/Tina-Vindums-Outdoor-Fitness-Shape/dp/0762751290

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip.
    Always looking for new material.

    ReplyDelete